I know it’s not Taco Tuesday, but I never need an excuse to eat Tacos. I could literally eat them every day. These tacos are stuffed with grilled chicken that I seasoned with my DIY taco seasoning, sweet roasted corn salsa, salty feta cheese and lime crema. I kept it simple, using ingredients that I already had on hand.
The star of this dish is definitely the corn salsa. I just used frozen corn kernels that I tossed with a tiny bit of olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper and then roasted in the oven. Roasting the corn really enhances the flavour and texture; yielding sweet, crispy toasted kernels. The corn itself is delicious on its own. You could use it as a side dish, snack, or salad topper. But for this recipe, I added lime juice and scallions to create a delicious Roasted Corn Salsa.
I was feeling ambitious, so I decided to grill the chicken on a grill pan, but you could just as easily throw it in the oven with the corn.
The sauce is a simple mix of mayo, sour cream, lime and taco seasoning. I added a couple tablespoons of water to get it to the consistency that I like. I tried keeping it lighter by using low fat ingredients. Cilantro would also be a really good addition to this sauce, but I didn’t have any on hand.
Don’t forget to heat your tortillas. It’s such a simple step that really improves the final flavour, especially since we’re using store-bought tortillas. I like to heat them in the grill pan for a minute or two on each side until they start to puff up. Those puffy air bubbles create beautiful light, flaky layers. They should be slightly toasted, but still flexible.
The final step is assembly. I topped each tortilla with 3-4 strips of grilled chicken, a big spoonful of roasted corn salsa, a slice of avocado, a couple slices of radish, salty crumbled feta (you can sub cotija cheese, but I can never find it anywhere), and a drizzle of sauce. We loved them!
Taco Stand on Amazon. Click the link to check it out!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe, let me know in the comments below!
Grilled Chicken Street Tacos with Roasted Corn Salsa and Feta
Grilled Chicken Street Tacos packed with sweet roasted corn salsa, salty feta cheese, cool avocado, radish, and lime crema.
- 1 ½ lbs chicken tender fillets
- 12 mini flour tortillas
- 1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen)
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1.5 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp low fat sour cream
- 2 tbsp feta cheese
- 3 tbsp + ½ tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Toss corn kernels with ½ tsp olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Lay corn on baking sheet in a single layer and bake 25 minutes until golden.
- In a glass dish, toss chicken tenders with 1 tsp olive oil and 3 tbsp taco seasoning. Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Add chicken tenders to pan and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and allow it to rest 5 minutes before slicing into strips lengthwise.
- Prepare corn salsa. In a bowl, combine roasted corn, scallions, and juice of ½ lime. Mix well.
- Prepare lime crema. In a small bowl combine light mayo, sour cream, juice of ½ lime, 1-2 tbsp water, and ½ tsp taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Heat tortillas 1-2 minutes on each side in grill pan.
- Assemble tacos and serve. To each tortilla add chicken, roasted corn salsa, avocado, radish, a sprinkle of feta and a drizzle of lime crema.