I know, I know, avocado toast probably doesn’t need its own recipe. But I’m sharing it anyways because it’s a quick, healthy and delicious meal that I have all the time. I run through avocados like crazy. But the good thing is, they’re full of healthy fats, fiber, and antioxidants, so I don’t have to feel too guilty about my obsession.
There’s about a million different ways to dress up avocado toast. This particular variation is a pretty basic one, with a kick of heat, because I love spicy everything.
3 key factors to the perfect avocado toast:
- Good Quality Bread: I used a homemade artisan no-knead bread. If you guys would like to see the recipe let me know in the comments below. You don’t necessarily need to make your own bread; any good crusty bakery bread will do. I like to pan-fry the bread. The long slices don’t fit well in my toaster, and I find pan-frying just generally tastes better.
- Perfectly Ripe Avocados: It’s the worst when you cut into an avocado to find it’s already gone bad, covered with brown splotchy patches. You want the avocado to be soft, but not mushy. Another great way to check the ripeness is by removing the stem. If you have a hard time removing it, the avocado probably isn’t ripe yet. If it does come off, check the colour beneath. It should be green. Brown indicates that the avocado has gone bad. I like to keep my just ripened avocados in the fridge to prevent them from going overripe.
- Garnishes: I mean, you could just slap some avocado on your toast and call it a day… but that’s boring. Even if it’s just some salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, it makes all the difference. For this toast I went with chili flakes, pink Himalayan salt, peppercorn medley, and a drizzle of spicy sriracha lime aioli.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe. Let me know if you would like to see the recipe for my artisanal no-knead bread in the comments below!
Spicy Avocado Toast
Creamy avocado piled on top of toasted artisan bread with spicy sriracha aioli and chili flakes.
- 2 slices artisan bread
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp light mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sriracha
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a grill pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot place bread down and toast 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- In a small bowl, combine light mayonnaise, sriracha, and 1 tsp of lime juice.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise. Remove avocado pit. Using a spoon, scoop the avocado flesh out from the peel. Thinly slice each half. Drizzle avocado with remaining teaspoon of lime juice to prevent browning.
- Place 1/2 of the avocado on each slice of toast. Add a sprinkle of red chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Drizzle with sriracha lime aioli to finish.