I have always loved to cook, but bread making hasn’t always been a strong suit of mine. Partially because I never had the patience for it, and partially because I have never been one to accurately follow a recipe. I’m one of those cooks who just throws a pinch of this, and a dash of that. But baking is more of an exact science that requires precision with ingredients, temperature, and time.
I’ve experimented with what feels like a million different bread recipes, many of them failures. Either the bread wouldn’t rise, or it would rise too much. But after lots of experimentation, I have gained a few tried-and-true recipes that I now make on a regular basis. This no-knead Dutch oven artisan bread that I’m sharing today is at the top of the list. It’s a very forgiving recipe, great for beginners. I have made it countless times, and each time it has come out perfect.
There are only 3 ingredients in this bread, and it requires no kneading. You don’t even have to touch the dough. Just mix the ingredients, allow it to rise, preheat your Dutch oven, shape the dough and bake! The result? A moist, fluffy artisan loaf with a beautiful crispy crust.
Rising the dough:
Allow the dough to rise for at least 2 hours, covered, in a warm spot. I usually just crank up the heat a couple degrees in my house and leave it on the counter. Alternatively, you could preheat the oven for a couple minutes, turn it off and leave the bowl in the oven. The dough can be left to rise for up to 24 hours. The longer it rises, the more the gluten develops which means better flavour and texture. But don’t worry, this bread is still delicious if you only have a couple hours. The bread in the photos had a 2 hour rise time.
Can the dough be made ahead?
You can store this dough in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure to allow it to come to room temperature before baking.
How do I Store this Bread?
Wrap the bread tightly in cling wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. The bread can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Amazon Must Haves for this Recipe
I hope you all enjoy this recipe! Let me know in the comments below.
No Knead Dutch Oven Artisan Bread
This simple 3 ingredient loaf of bread, baked in the Dutch oven, takes just a couple hours from start to finish and will leave your home smelling like an artisan bakery.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package instant yeast (8g)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 cup warm water
- In a large bowl whisk to combine flour, yeast, and salt. Add warm water and stir until incorporated. The dough should be wet and sticky.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and allow the dough to rise in a warm spot for at least 2 hours, and up to 24 hours.
- One hour prior to baking, place your Dutch oven or cast iron pot (with the lid on) in the oven and preheat to 450 °F.
- Flour a sheet of parchment paper lightly and remove the dough from the bowl, placing it onto the parchment. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, gently shape the dough to form a ball. Allow to rest for at least an additional 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove Dutch oven pot from oven. Lift the parchment paper with the dough and place it in the pot. Cover with the lid and place it back in the oven.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake an additional 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.