Happy Monday Everyone! This weekend we celebrated Stephen’s birthday. After indulging in way too much cake, I woke up today craving something light and healthy. And I mean, who doesn’t love a good kale salad?
Lately I’ve been making more of a conscious effort to use immune-boosting ingredients in my recipes. I really do believe that the food we put into our body reflects upon our state of health; and in the midst of this pandemic, I think it’s important to load up on nutritious foods full of antioxidants and vitamins. This particular salad is packed with ingredients (kale, butternut squash, carrots) that are high in beta carotene. Beta carotene is a powerful antioxidant that can improve brain, skin, lung, and eye health.
When I told Stephen that I was making salad for lunch he looked so disappointed, lol. In his mind healthy food tastes bad. But just because this salad is healthy, doesn’t mean it isn’t delicious. I knew once he tasted it, he would end up liking it.
The kale is tossed with peppery red cabbage. The roasted butternut squash and carrots add a level of sweetness, followed by the crunch of the crispy roasted chickpeas and walnuts. The final touch? A sprinkle of salty feta, and a generous drizzle of creamy tahini dressing. Everything kind of balances out, and the result is so delicious.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe, let me know in the comments below!
Kale Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash, Carrots, Walnuts and Feta
This healthy, feel-good kale salad is full of beta-carotene packed veggies, crispy roasted chickpeas, chopped walnuts, salty feta, and a creamy tahini dressing.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tsp + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups red cabbage, sliced
- ½ butternut squash, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can chickpeas
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup light feta
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare kale. Separate the leaves from the stalks and tear into bite size pieces. Massage kale with 1 tsp olive oil until soft (optional).
- Prepare the roasted vegetables and chickpeas. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss carrots and butternut squash with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Toss chickpeas with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Bake for 40 minutes until lightly browned.
- Prepare dressing. Combine all ingredients, except water, in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Slowly add water until you reach a pourable consistency.
- Assemble Salad. Combine kale and red cabbage in a large bowl. Add roasted butternut squash, chickpeas, walnuts, and feta. Toss to combine. Drizzle with dressing. Mix well and serve.