I’m sure you all know by now; I love a good pasta. This one here is full of warm, fall flavours that are perfect for the cooler days. The creamy sauce is actually a nutritious blend of roasted butternut squash, carrots and onions. It’s tossed with Cavatappi Pasta and parmesan cheese, and then topped with crispy fried sage and toasted walnuts. I realize this might sound strange to some, but trust me, it hits.
This comforting fall dish is so hearty and filling that it’s great just on its own. But you could also serve it as a side, or even bring it along to your holiday parties. I guarantee there won’t be a crumb left.
The recipe for this dish is pretty flexible and can be easily adapted to your dietary preferences. Feel free to use gluten-free pasta or substitute the parmesan for a vegan cheese.
For the full detailed recipe keep scrolling down.
Roast the Butternut Squash, Carrots, and Onion. I used minimal oil to keep it lighter. Alternatively you could boil or saute the vegetables, but roasting gives even more flavour.
Toast the Walnuts and Sage. You’ll know the sage is done when the color deepens and it becomes crispy. The walnuts should be lightly toasted. Do not overcook! Throw everything on a paper towel lined plate afterwards to absorb any excess oil.
Cook the Pasta to Al-Dente. Reserve some of the starchy water for later. Blend butternut squash, carrots, and onions with chicken (or vegetable) stock. I used an immersion blender, but you can also do this in batches in a regular blender. You can blend it until it’s silky smooth, or leave it a little more textured and rustic like I did.
Toss pasta with the sauce, reserved pasta water, and parmesan cheese. Garnish with Crispy Sage leaves and toasted walnuts. And serve!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe. Let me know in the comments below!
Butternut Squash Carrot Pasta with Crispy Sage and Walnuts
Cavatappi pasta tossed in a creamy sauce made with roasted butternut squash, carrots, and onions, and then topped with crispy fried sage and toasted walnuts. This comforting pasta dish is full of warm flavours, perfect for the holidays!
- 1 lb Cavatappi pasta
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about ½ a large squash)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, largely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 small bunch Sage leaves
- ½ cup parmesan
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss butternut squash, carrots, and onion with 1 tbsp olive oil, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Bake 35-40 minutes until tender.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add sage and walnuts and toast for about 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until sage leaves are crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined dish and season with a sprinkle salt.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta to al dente. Drain and reserve ½ cup pasta water.
- To the same skillet from step 2, add the garlic and chili flakes, sauté 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Transfer roasted squash, carrots and onions to skillet. Add chicken stock and blend with and immersion blender until smooth and creamy (Alternatively, blend in small batches in a blender). Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to skillet along with enough reserved pasta water to reach your desired consistency. Add parmesan. Toss everything together.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with crispy sage leaves, toasted walnuts, and extra parmesan cheese.